We all need exercise, but we also need inspiration. If you need to work out without leaving your house, we have home workouts to try—no equipment needed!
The comfort of home is great, until you find you are too comfortable, or just find you are at home too long. While you might be longing for the gym, or dying for a pickup basketball game with friends, this might be the perfect time to get acquainted with home workouts without equipment. Whether you have 5 minutes or 30, we’ve put together some of the most effective exercises for a complete bodyweight workout designed to build muscle and strength, no gym membership needed.
Before you begin, be sure to warm up to avoid injury. Get your heart rate up by jogging on the spot for 30 seconds, followed by some high knees and butt kicks. After you’ve performed some light stretches, it’s time to get started! Oh, and before you rush off, please remember to check in with a doctor before you make any major changes to your exercise regimen.
Squats are a firm favorite for the lower body enthusiasts, as they target the hamstrings, glutes, quadriceps, and core. For everyone in pursuit of the perfect beach bum, they’re a must! It is important to maintain proper form during this bodyweight workout to avoid knee and back pain, so be aware of your body’s positioning and movements. Follow these steps for the perfect squat:
- Place your feet at a distance slightly wider than hip-width apart.
- Bend your knees and move your hips back.
- Keep your thighs parallel to the floor until your hips are lower than your knees.
- Keep your knees in line with your feet.
- Stand up, locking your hips and knees at the top.
- Repeat 20 times.
2. Forearm plank
No home workout is complete without the humble plank. Planking is considered one of the best exercises for strengthening your core, and may even lead to reduced back pain and better posture. There are many different plank variations to try once you master the classic low plank position. Check out this guide to a solid forearm plank:
- Lie face-down with your elbows below your shoulders and your forearms on the floor.
- Keep your feet flexed, with your toes on the floor.
- Lift your body so your forearms and toes are the only body parts touching the floor.
- Remain in a straight-line, parallel to the floor.
- Tighten your buttocks and core for maximum muscle engagement.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds.
Who doesn’t love a good old push-up? It’s a timeless bodyweight workout that’s great for working the chest, shoulders, triceps, and core, plus it’s super easy to modify depending on your fitness level. Drop and give us 100! Okay, maybe not that many. Here are steps for a picture-perfect push-up to add to your home bodyweight workout:
- Place your hands and feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart in a high plank position.
- Lower your body toward the ground, keeping your elbows close to your body.
- Ensure that your entire body is straight and your neck is in a neutral position.
- When your chest reaches the floor, push yourself back up to the starting position.
- Repeat 10 times.
4. Wall sit
A killer workout for the lower body, wall sits target the quadriceps, inner thighs, and hamstrings. This simple, yet highly effective exercise will have your quads burning in no time. Make the perfect wall sit position by following these steps:
- Press your back flat against the wall.
- Place your feet 1-2 feet out.
- Bend your knees and lower down so that you are in a seated position.
- Keep your thighs parallel to the ground, as if you are sitting in an invisible chair.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds.
5. Jumping lunges
This explosive exercise is sure to up your explosive power. Jump lunges are great for your entire lower body, including your quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, calves, and hip flexors. Just be sure you have enough space, as it does require a bit more room. Follow these steps to get a great jumping lunge:
- From a standing position, step forward into the lunge position.
- Ensure that both knees are at 90-degree angles.
- Jump up and switch legs while you are in the air.
- Land with the opposite legs in the lunge position.
- Repeat this motion 15 times.
So, there you have it, 5 of the best home workouts without equipment. Try them out and then see if you find DIY physical fitness can help you get a little bit stronger every day.